• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
The C modest god

When does the rendering occure in Direct3D?

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When the render state is set to have no culling. Does Direct3D renders a primitive immidatly after calling DrawPerimitive? (In the documentation it says the methods renders the permitive or does it keeps the data about the perimitive and waits to end scence and then does somthing smarter? In other words, if I do a draw perimitive of a triangle and afterwards I use drawPerimitive with another triangle, which is above the previous triangle. Will the first triangle be drawen anyway? Even if it will not be visible? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
I believe that most things are buffered onto the card, and then they are executed either all at once or whenever the buffer fills up. Someone else could probably tell you better.

As for your second question, however: if you draw a triangle that's far away and then a second one that's closer and covers it up, the first triangle will still be drawn in its entirety. The second one will cover it up, though, because of Z-Buffering. However, if you were to draw the near triangle first and then the far triangle, the far triangle would not be drawn, as every pixel would fail the Z-Buffer test, and it would be very quickly skipped from drawing.

Quote:
Original post by The C modest god
In other words, if I do a draw perimitive of a triangle and afterwards I use drawPerimitive with another triangle, which is above the previous triangle. Will the first triangle be drawen anyway? Even if it will not be visible?

It will, this is what you have a depth buffer for.

Quote:
Original post by vNistelrooy
Quote:
In other words, if I do a draw perimitive of a triangle and afterwards I use drawPerimitive with another triangle, which is above the previous triangle. Will the first triangle be drawen anyway? Even if it will not be visible?

It will, this is what you have a depth buffer for.

Yes, but drake said that if you draw the far triangle first it will be drawen even if you have a z buffer. Did you mean by depth buffer for something else then Z buffer?

Another question, If I have transcularency. Like 50% transparency. Do I have to draw the permitives with the transparency last? Or can I draw them before perimitives which are behind them?

Quote:
Another question, If I have transcularency. Like 50% transparency. Do I have to draw the permitives with the transparency last?

Yes actually, you do. And kudos on realizing that yourself -- it doesn't occur to most people until they're told. You'll also have to sort all the triangles by depth in order to get the blending correct (the only exception being additive blending).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!