• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kobe bryant

Outsourcing art assets

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I,m working on my first 3D game demo, which I hope will be able to persuade someone in the game industry to employ me when I finish it. So it has to be relatively weell presented ( good graphics). I just wanted to know how you game programmers handle generation of your art assets (Textures, 3D models). Do you create them your selves or do you pay for other people to do it for you. One guy charged me £120 ($210 approx) for a gundam robot model. A poor student like myself can't afford to pay enough for all the models that I need for my whole game. Is it worth the time trying to master maya and the like, or by creating the models myself am I prolonging the development of my game which has already took a year and is only a quarter complete. Thanx for any advice.

Advertisement
You could try making a post in Help Wanted looking for someone to help you out for free, or somewhat cheaper. You'll often find people are willing to help out with a promising project in order to get something to put in thier portfolio. If you do, be sure to read the Help Wanted FAQ first and post using the template found in this thread.

If you're willing to pay, you could also try recruiting at CGTalk.
Another place you could possibly try is the forums at Garage Games, although often the help available there will be of a lower standard.
You can also try DeviantArt, but it tends to be better for 2d and/or concept art.

Your other options are finding a suitable package of pre-created artwork that meets your needs and is within your budget, or learning to create your own graphics.

Hope that helps. [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!