• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dave

Getting The Time In Seconds Since 0h Jan 1900

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do i do this. I have only seen functions that return the time since 1970. Any ideas? ace

Advertisement
Add the number of seconds between 1900 and 1970? Keep in mind that this number will not fit in a 32-bit integer.

Well i figured i could do that, but how? I have no idea and nor does google of how to find this.

ace

See why this is tricky?

I just stay up all night worrying about leap seconds and how much longer i could be living if i acounted for them [grin]

ace

IIRC, leap seconds started in 1972, and most computer systems don't bother to account for them (since they occur on an as-needed basis). Also note that if you google for the number I posted, you'll get quite a few results.

Anything that involves date/time functions is an absolute bloody nightmare.
Especially when you have to develop an application blindly - our release machines are Linux based (PHP/MySQL web applications), but we're developing on Windows systems. All very well and good, until you have to deal with dates prior to 1970...
I hope it works. [rolleyes]

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
IIRC, leap seconds started in 1972, and most computer systems don't bother to account for them

Just as an aside... the programmer I mentioned whom I'd learnt about leap seconds from had to write the code because it DID cause a problem in the software [oh]

It was all transaction processing ("CICS" if anyones heard of it?) stuff and it would completely throw things into madness if a transaction had a time signiture indicating that it occured on the 61st second [lol]

Cheers,
Jack

At the beginning of recorded and measured time, why didnt hey just work in lots of 10 days or something, feck the Sun and all that astrological bollox [smile].

ace

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!