• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lucky Ace Card

So, how does one get into programming games for nex-gen consoles?

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just curious how the process works. Does one just apply to a game design company who makes games for nex-gen consoles? Or does one have to work his/her way up first? Thanks for any responses.

Advertisement
And how would your company prove themselves? Would they make PC games or something?
I can't see how to prove your company without being able to make games for consoles.

Right, I know that. But people are saying your game company needs to prove itself worthy before being able to make games for a console.
How can a company prove itself? What kind of accomplishments do they make? Do they make good selling PC games, or what?

It's a matter of paying lots of money to the console developer for their appropriate developer kits. ~$10k for XBox 360 dev kit.

Oh, okay.
So, now my question is, how does a game company get enough money to do that? What kind of games do they make to make profit? PC games, or what?
Sorry for being so curious, I've just been wondering for a long time.

Well, a startup will generally be financed, by private investors or by VCs. It isn't like an RPG, where you do a lot of little quests to build up your power for a big quest.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!