i'm a beginner in the game field but?

Started by
5 comments, last by SKATIN_HARD 18 years, 8 months ago
but many articles make me confused i wish some one could help me so i will ask the question in another way ? i have an idea for a game (as every beginner says) and i want 2 know how 2 make my game come 2 the world ? or how 2 make my idea changes into a game and every one plays it ? if any one can help that would be great coz i c many experts here plz help me thnx sorry for the long topic ?
Advertisement
Instead of pointing you to the very obvious beginner forum and very clear articles available to the public I'm going to ask you what do you already know?

Do you know how to program?
Do you know what programming is? ;-)
What about graphic design?

Programming a game takes a lot of time and effort to make it nice, assuming your idea isn't how to make tetris better.

If your answer is "no" to one of the questions above I seriously recommend you either: a) pick up a book on C programming (since it's relatively easy to learn) or b) sign up for a class, since learning from someone with experience is always easier.
The GDNET Beginner Page - lots of book recommendations and articles and such. While there are a lot of introductory tutorials online, books are so much better (and we really still need to update that page)

You won't get around to making 'games' for awhile - you have to learn how to program first. I'd recommend checking out something like RPGMaker if you want to skip the programming (hard) part and just make your game.

If you're serious about learning how to program, start with this article.
Quote:Original post by Mushu
The GDNET Beginner Page - lots of book recommendations and articles and such. While there are a lot of introductory tutorials online, books are so much better (and we really still need to update that page)

You won't get around to making 'games' for awhile - you have to learn how to program first. I'd recommend checking out something like RPGMaker if you want to skip the programming (hard) part and just make your game.

Good idea Mushu, the rpg maker isn't great but atleast it puts you into the mind set of what can be done. Might sound silly but when I first made a game with the rpg maker I learned a lot about game making even though you never really touch the coding. I learned about tilesets, events, layers, template for skills and such (more precisely classes).
I am not trying to nitpick.

In order to be taken seriously, you must first learn how to effectively communicate your idea with others.

Step one- find a language that works well for your interests. Currently the vast amount of game development is done in the United Sates and Japan. English or Japanese are then the languages of choice. I also see the primary language of India (I do not know the correct name of this) being a workable option, due to the large amount of programming currently being done there. I can see that you have already tried English.

Step two- master the language. This appears to be the step you are working on. Using proper English during a discussion can not only help alleviate problems arising from miscommunication, but it also shows that you have the internal fortitude to complete a project.

Let's go over some things to work on with your post:
Quote:but many articles make me confused i wish some one could help me so i will ask the question in another way ?

That sentence, while able to be somewhat deciphered through plenty of study, does not convey its meaning well. The items that I will tackle first are capitalization and punctuation. These two grammar necessities are key to helping your reader follow your intent. Capitalization serves to emphasise proper nouns and the beginnings of sentences. Punctuation directs the meter of the sentence and separates different thoughts. Sentence structure is also used to keep ideas separate. If you are unsure how to structure your sentence revert to the basic, "subject, verb, [acted upon object]." As a side note, do not continue a conversation from a topic line. The topic line is to inform the reader about the contents of the thread. It is not the beginning of your post. Lets observe how these changes affect the quote.

Quote:I am a beginner in the field of game design. Many articles make me confused. Will you please help me? I have a question about my ideas.

Notice that I did not change the intent of your first paragraph. I imagine that many people would be more likely to help someone who uses the second quote instead.

Moving on let's review the second paragraph:
Quote:i have an idea for a game (as every beginner says) and i want 2 know how 2 make my game come 2 the world ? or how 2 make my idea changes into a game and every one plays it ? if any one can help that would be great coz i c many experts here plz help me thnx sorry for the long topic ?

I can not stress enough how important it is that you do not use 1337 speak when trying to have a meaningful conversation. This one factor will turn more readers away from your post than any other factor. Please, for your sake, use letters instead of numbers and type the entire word.

As a sign that your are truly interested in help, please reform your second paragraph on your own. This will be the first sign that you are ready to make the commitment needed.

Until then...

[Edited by - Thermodynamics on August 18, 2005 1:34:58 PM]
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
One option, if you have no programming experience and you can't or don't want to learn to program, is to hire a programmer (or otherwise find someone to work on it for you for free). It's certainly a piece of advice that gets overlooked.

The best way to learn is find a programming language that you like and go from there. If you don't want to program, pay somebody to do it for you or find a friend that will do it for little cost/free.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement