How do professional 3D graphic designers make the graphics?

Started by
11 comments, last by Saurabh Torne 18 years, 8 months ago
Right now, I use a 3D model creating program called Blender. Check out what I made! =) (I've only been doing 3D stuff for a day...) http://www.blender.org/cms/Video_Tutorials.396.0.html But I've been wondering, how do professionals make 3D graphics? Do they also use software, similar but probably more advanced than Blender?
Advertisement
You mean 3D models? Last I heard, the majority use Maya or 3dsmax. Some others are used, e.g. Valve uses Softimage|XSI or something.
How do 3D models and 3D environments differ?
I always figured that an environment was made up of a bunch of models, like the ground, trees, walls, etc.
It depends. When designing an graphics engine you decide how to handle these things. There are as many solutions as there are graphics engines...
To the graphics card, there is no diffrence between models and the world, the diffrence is only how the engine handles the vertices. When a frame is to be drawn, the engine decides which models and which part of the world to send to the graphics card for rendering.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Oh, okay. I was thinking of it from the viewpoint of a graphics card. Now I see it from the engine's.
Thanks.
Quote:Original post by Cypher19
You mean 3D models? Last I heard, the majority use Maya or 3dsmax. Some others are used, e.g. Valve uses Softimage|XSI or something.

Whats finally so special about 3ds max that they buy such expensive software?
3ds max (and most other commercial modeling packages) are expensive software, but they're much cheaper than artists, so if they increase productivity even a little bit then they're worth the price.
I do know some really talented 3d artists that use Blender, though. Blender can actually be much faster than Max or Maya (hotkeys), which is exactly why it's inaccessible to the beginner. Blender is really powerful, but it's not quite up to the same tier as 3dsMax.

It all comes down to how much practice you put into it...
Quote:Original post by videodragon20032003
Blender can actually be much faster than Max or Maya (hotkeys)

You think Maya and Max don't have hotkeys? you should see an experienced modeler using one of those packages.... it's insane.
Blender was used to model scenes for the movie Spider-man 2, so I wouldn't throw it away for 3dsmax. But modelling takes skill, Blender is very good if you know what you want to do. The problem I have most is that I don't have a clue as to how to go about modelling properly and economically!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement