• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RDragon1

3ds max question

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Using 3ds max 7, I have 2 objects in a scene. One partially obstructs the other. I want to render only the object in the rear, but I don't want to render the parts that are obstructed by the object in front. Whenever I try to make the object in front 'invisible', it always ends up doing just that, and I end up seeing the entire object in back in the render. Any tips please?

Advertisement
erm.... make the object in front flat shaded somehow and black. then you'll get the visual results you want. _something_ has to render on that part of the screen...

-me

I was trying to avoid post production for this, if possible. Is it possible to set the alpha value to zero for all pixels that make up that object? Ideally it should be a transparent part of the image, as with the background.

use a Matte/Shadow material on the object in the front. it is made for what you are trying to do, a fairly common special effects technique.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!