• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Basiror

OpenGL novodex & mesh class implementation

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am working on my gamedev library which shall be the foundation of all my future engine projects currently I am about to implement a basic mesh class that shall be used to render the scene and to do collision detection with the novodex physics engine I read the SDK about how to pass information to the physic engine and found out that they use triangle lists no triangle strips nothing like that now my concern is that i had to store 2 index buffers in the list one for triangle strips(for rendering) and one for the triangle list well i also store the index of the shader(surface desricption of the mesh + texture how should i go about physic materials store them within the shader class or store a seperate novodex physic material reference in the mesh class? and last but not least how does novodex handle the geometry internally, does it create a copy of the arrays or use the index and vertex buffers to do its collision detection? i also want to use the mesh class for model rendering and i have read about vertex instancing which allows you to draw the same transformation multiple times with a single function call is this possible in opengl as well or is it a d3d only feature? thx in advance

Advertisement
If you are using the latest version of Novodex (2.2), then the vertex and index buffers are only used to create a preprocessed ('cooked') mesh description. Once the cooking is completed the lists aren't needed by Novodex again. The actual format of the cooked mesh is undocumented but won't change between runs on the same platform/SDK version. This allows you to store the cooked mesh on disk and eliminate run-time cooking.

are you refering to pmaps?
that s the only thing i found that does preprocessing

if thats all i need i can create these pmaps in the map editor already

and save them into the maps binary to reduce loading times and memory fragmentation

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!