Apache/PHP....best email server?

Started by
4 comments, last by igni ferroque 18 years, 8 months ago
Hey everyone, I've heard many things on what's the best email server to have running on your machine. Any ideas? I'm running Windows Server 2003 with apache running on it. So any ideas would be nice. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Sendmail is probably what's used on the majority of email servers that don't have to provide calendaring features [in which case MS Exchange unfortunately has a commanding share].

qmail I've also heard many good things about, the primary being it's less esoteric than sendmail.

Both of those are primarily unix services, though I'd imagine you could find ports of them.

Sorry, this likely isn't too helpful.
I'm pretty sure qmail is *nix only. I set it up as our corporate mail server system and it works really nice. I just have to figure out how to add some spam filters to it :).

------------
Andrew
If you go into Add/Remove programs, Windows Components then IIS, you can install an SMTP server from there. Not sure how great it is, but it seems to work fine for me.
This won't help if you're looking for a POP/IMAP server, though.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Postfix and Courier are a good team. Do not know if they run on windows though. Add LDAP or Mysql for virtual addresses.
Domine non secundum peccata nostra facias nobis
Apache James is a Java-based SMTP, POP3, and NNTP server. It's relatively easy to set up, and you can keep mail accounts separate from system accounts.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement