Console Color - Possible?

Started by
10 comments, last by benryves 18 years, 8 months ago
Is this possible with Dev-C++?
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Advertisement
yes it is if you download conio2 package you can do console colors.
I have done it and it works alright
Sure it is and for a good place to start look to one of our own.
Benryve's Notes
Gor435 - My Journal - MySpace - Facebook
You can do this by making use of Windows' console functions. Look at WriteConsoleOutput(). SetConsoleTextAttribute().

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/character_mode_applications.asp

:stylin:

EDIT: too fast Gor435 - nice link.
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
Thanks guys! I wanted to go to something like this before SDL.
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Just to let you know, doing a game using console "graphics" is much more of a pain than using SDL even if you use a library that wraps it up nice and pretty like pdcurses.
Yeah,
I tried graphics in consoles and it was hard for me. Then I switched to SDL and I am doing good their. I have been studing it for 3 days and I am almost ready to make pong.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
Just to let you know, doing a game using console "graphics" is much more of a pain than using SDL even if you use a library that wraps it up nice and pretty like pdcurses.
Indeed. Still, it's quite fun. [wink]
One thing I don't cover is setting the colour for "normal" console work (such as printf()), which could be handled with SetConsoleTextAttribute() as stylin mentioned. My methods tend to rely on writing the character/colour information to a CHAR_INFO buffer then copying that to the console window, which is probably more appropriate to the work you're doing.
On this subject, I don't know if I should write up how to manage colours/graphics better in a console window (such as I used in here). Would people find it useful?

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Yeah, a lot of it is tedious, but I'm going to write some functions for it.

EDIT: Your site's down now..are you working on it or did the worm hit it?
Quote:Original post by orcfan32
EDIT: Your site's down now..are you working on it or did the worm hit it?
That would be my very cheap hosting, sorry. Normally comes back in a few minutes... [rolleyes]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement