• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Neon2302

Need help on J2ME Network programming

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm starting producing network game on Mobile device using J2ME but I have a problem that MIDP 1.0 have only HTTPConncection that asyncronus SocketConnection is must to use on game. I saw that MIDP 2.0 have SocketConnection but it said some MIDP2 device doesn't implement this API. So I afraid that how many device have problem about using SocketConnection is it good to using SocketConnection or HTTPConnection or other method?? Thank you for any help Neon

Advertisement
Basically you have to implement your system using HTTP as a protcol layer. It sucks but is the only universial method for doing network communication in J2ME.

Brew on the other hand implemnts a nonblocking socket layer (tcp/udp/ip), and I *believe* Symbian also allows low level access to the networking layer, but i could be wrong.

The MIDP version actually doesn't have any direct relation to whether sockets are supported. In MIDP 1.0 you are only guaranteed http and in MIDP 2.0 you also have https. But almost every MIDP 2.0 device will support sockets and many MIDP 1.0 phones also do. The biggest problem usually comes from the network operator not having proper backend support.

shmoove

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!