• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
busyme

NO IDEA WHERE TO START

This topic is 4834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to learn how to make a game using directX, very simple game just 2D, but where do I start. I mean how do I display my character walking around on screen using directX

Advertisement
Hi there busyme,
How are you doing buddy?

[The Problem]
Where to start programming in DirectX and more specifically focusing on creating a game.

[The Solution]
You made want to start taking a look at the Coding4Fun game development tutorial

I hope this helps buddy.
Take care.

www.vbprogramming.8k.com <-- my site ;).

I'm not even sure what language you want to use, but if you want to use VB.NET, go out and buy it for about $100 (or get the '2005 Express Edition' and work on some of my tutorials, then work your way up to DirectX (I've got a 3rd person camera tutorial there as well).

-The Pentium Guy

You've got some good ideas already, but just to add my $0.02 [smile]

Don't aim too high to start with, I know its probably a bit boring - but getting a couple of textured cubes spinning on the screen is a reasonable goal for starting with Direct3D. You can learn a lot of theory and background about Direct3D (and D3D programming) by mastering a relatively simple program.

Getting a fully animated character moving around on the screen is quite a step up the ladder, so don't be too disheartened if it takes you a while to get there [smile]

Also, for some better answers you might well want to let us know what sort of a programming background you have - as there are a few different ways of using DirectX depending on what language/platform you want to work with (e.g. "Managed DirectX" and "Native DirectX" are different things).

hth
Jack

Well thank you for all these really helpfull replies. I code in C++, you would say intermediate programmer. I been coding C++ for 2 month straight non-stop, well this is the third. How non-stop because I was taking college course on C++, we made programs and games and I learned A LOT by making games.

So I am going to learn advanced C++ next quarter ^^ .

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!