• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Staryon

A good 2D programming book with DirectX 8 or 9?

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I'm new to the game development world, but I have several years of experience in C++ I have been researching in Amazon.com trying to find a book where to start 2D programming. So far I haven't been able to find something. Most of the DirectX books are focused on 3D programming. I was able to find others for 2D programming but they don't use DirectX. Do you guys know any good book for what I need? Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
You don't really NEED directX for 2D programming...

Try the SDL API instead of directX ;) its very easy to get to grips with.

It really depends what you're doing,
but generally with the power of todays computers, you dont need to worry about speed at all with 2D graphics..

SDL is probably a little bit slower, but it would be difficult to notice the difference unless you were dealing with very demanding programs.
(I'm not an expert. .. far from it, but I'd guess this is the case.)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!