• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zaris

Python

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How many people has try python? I recently downloaded because I wanted to understand the source from hackinslash and found it a fun language. It combine with pygame and a text editor and min information I set up a double buffer display with bouncing ball in less then 20 min with no previous experiance with python.

Advertisement
I'm a great fan of oop programming; so this is great for me, but C++ will still be my primary language.

Be careful: Python is very seductive. First you'll just embed it for AI scripting. Then you'll use just for "just a bit" of game logic. Then it'll be all your game logic. Pretty soon you'll find that your application is almost all Python. Once you start down the path of Python forever it will control your destiny.

Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
Be careful: Python is very seductive. First you'll just embed it for AI scripting. Then you'll use just for "just a bit" of game logic. Then it'll be all your game logic. Pretty soon you'll find that your application is almost all Python. Once you start down the path of Python forever it will control your destiny.

Listen to him. He speaks the truth.

Python is pretty nice. The only things I don't like so much are that it doesn't handle linear algebra so intuitively and the obligatory indentation can be annoying at first, but you get used to it.

-Josh

Pah, I don't see why so many people moan about the whitespace thing in Python. I mean, the vast majority of people would indent their code just like that anyway, so I don't see the problem.

Anyway, what little experience I've had with python has been fantastic. I've been sure to use it as little as possible, though, to avoid precisely the trap that SiCrane mentioned. Maybe I'll look into it more after I (read: if I ever) get my current project finished.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!