Very simple question: Setting the monitor's refresh rate

Started by
8 comments, last by The Pentium Guy 18 years, 8 months ago
Simple question. How would I do this (in code obviously).... and is setting the monitor to 60 hz recommended? Thanks, -The Pentium Guy
Advertisement
When creating a device you can pass the desired refresh rate via the D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS structure in the FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz member. The refresh rate should be one that you get from calling EnumAdaptorModes().
Thanks for that.
Eh...quick question. Why would this monitor NOT support 60hz at 640x480/800x600/1024x768, but supports 60hz at 1280x1024? Very strange, becuase when I manually go to 640x480 and set it to 60hz it's fine (60hz is the default for 640x480 anyways). But when I do it in code it doesn't work.

-2005530516 (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL)
at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device..ctor(Int32 adapter, DeviceType deviceType, IntPtr renderWindowHandle, CreateFlags behaviorFlags, PresentParameters[] presentationParameters)

However if I comment out the
"dxDevice.FullscreenRefreshRateInHz = 60"
line, then it works fine.

At 1280x1024, the monitor is capable of running (both in code, and manually) at 60hz.

Strange.
Any help?

Thanks,
-The Pentium Guy
I've noticed a similar thing happens with me whenever I set the refresh rate to anything besides the default rate. I've never known why and would be interested in what is happening as well.
Bump?
Bump for the night crowd.
LCD or CRT monitor?
I experience similar behavior. For example, some resolutions offer a refresh rate of 72, while others don't. I'm not quite sure if it's a monitor or GPU restriction.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
LCD or CRT monitor?

Packard Bell CRT

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement