• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Functor

OpenGL General ATI SMARTSHADER program questions

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey! I have a couple general questions about ATI's SMARTSHADER programs that can be run on any openGL apps... I hope this is the right place for this thread... 1. Within a .pss shader program, there are 2 sections. One part has the ARB fragment program: Looks like this: PARAM scale = {0.30, 0.59, 0.11, 1.0}; TEMP pixel; OUTPUT oColor = result.color; The other part of the program has condistionals, and other commands that look like this: texture[0].magfilter = "nearest"; texture[0].source = temp4; destination backbuffer; apply asciiPixelShader; My question is, what is the name of this part of the program? I'm looking for a complete spec of this or at least more information as to what other operations such as "source" and "magfilter" can be performed. I've found the spec for the ARB_fragment_program, and not I need the spec for the other half as it is my understanding you cant put statements like the ones in the second part within the ARB fragment program (please correct me if im wrong, I'm trying to get everything straight in my head). Anyone know what its called or where I can get more info? 2. What is the flow of the program? Right now all I know is that the program executes on every pixel... but I am unclear as to how it does this. Above, I broke the .pss program file down into seperate parts, the ARB fragment program and the other part that i'm looking for the name of. The way I see it, there are 2 possible scenarios. a. The program loads, and the second part of the program runs only once. When the second part calls the ARB fragment program, its only the fragment program that cycles through all the pixels. b. The program loads, and both the ARB fragment program and the other part get executed for each pixel. If I had to guess, I'd say scenario a, but that's just a guess. Which is it really? Or have I completely misunderstood? Getting answers to these will really help me move forward as there is very little information available on this subject. If there is a resource im missing, please help this n00b out! Thanks!

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!