• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NamelessTwo

The Doom 3 Models?

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, you have proably already analyzed Doom 3 many times. Why do you think that the game puts mostly 1-2 enemies on the screen at the same time? Is it because the models are so highly detailed?

Advertisement
There are more than a few times throughout the game where you have 6 or more enemies on screen at once. For example, those pesty spiders. But in most cases, yes you are correct.

The models only look highly detailed because they use very good normal maps. The actual models are not as detailed as they may seem.

But nonetheless, they do take a toll on the engine.

It is a combination of reasons why there are not more enemies on screen at once. For one, the engine performs real-time shadowing and lighting on every object in the scene and increasing the objects would slow the engine down. Notice how the framerate is not high to begin with.

I remember Carmack saying midway through development that the engine worked but it needed optimizations. That tells me that the team was probably skeptical at one point to put more guys on screen.

Finally, IIRC many of the rooms in the game were not very big to begin with.

Quote:
Original post by skittleo

Finally, IIRC many of the rooms in the game were not very big to begin with.

This also but I didn't mention it.

Would Doom 3 quality models be too much in larger numbers for a Radeon 9600? Is the lighting the reason why Doom 3's famerate is so low on this card?

I have a Radeon 9600 and the game runs fine at 800x600 and no anti-aliasing. The game was never designed to have super high framerates like in Quake 3. 30-40 frames per second is perfectly normal for Doom3.

I believe the combination of lighting and shadowing on every object in the scene is mostly the cause for a low framerate. You've played the game. You know how complex the scenes can be at times. Even if the model polycounts are not as high as they may seem, surely when you consider the rest of the scene you will still have quite a lot of polygons casting shadows and pixels going through the lighting shaders.

You also have to keep in mind the special effects such as the particle systems and heat distortion shader.

The game is graphically complex. To fully get a reading on why the framerate is low, you need to consider all aspects of the game.

A friend and I have implemented MD5's in our game, we render 8 fatty's and a single bernie all in the middle of our screen, and they all run through an animation at the same time... and I've a Radeon 9600 256MB Pro(supposedly a pro...)

and i get 60-70 FPS...

but, i only apply the defuse map and not the normal maps or specular maps ATM, but, it should only drop a bit, not to a drastic 20-30 FPS

go to the console in doom3 and type the following

map testmaps/test_lotsaimps.map

[tab complete for the last part works]

this will load up a map with like 50 enemies in it [in one room]. I reccomend you turn on god mode and give yourself all the weapons, also turn on the "enemies can't see you" cheat.... also turn on the fps...

[cool, the patch removes the cd check]

[Edited by - sit on August 20, 2005 12:35:48 PM]

Quote:
Original post by ReKlipz
A friend and I have implemented MD5's in our game, we render 8 fatty's and a

Why fatties? Why everyone is using fatties? (Seriously: why)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!