• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
luasitdown

What is D3D initialization?

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think initialization == create D3D DEVICE object. It just instantiate a class to create a object. So why someone said initializatoin is complex?

Advertisement
It's complex, because graphics cards, nowadays, are very complex and loaded with much features. In the initialisation, you setup the card that's in the computer, to fit for your program. And there are a lot of cards on the market. You want your program to run on all cards.

Quote:
Original post by luasitdown
It just instantiate a class to create a object.

Essentially it is that, but in truth it is much more complicated. Don't be too influenced by the example framework and samples - they're trivial by comparison to a fullblown engine (D3D initialization in my codebase is several 100 lines of code).

You might wish to think of initialization as the process after which the hardware is in a state ready to be rendered to - ready to have the main graphics rendering loop. That is, your device is configured and all your resources are loaded (textures, geometry, shaders etc...). Suddenly it ceases to be so trivial [grin]

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!