• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Four

Loading 3D files

This topic is 4834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What 3D format supports Skeleton-like animation, textures & about the texture & preferably stored within the format rather than in a seperate file, I'm not a modeller but some S&T values would be good, I think they are called UV in modelling programs. And also preferably the meshes to be all triangles in the format. Also if Blender3D supporst an export function for this format that would be great. What is the closest format that supports what is listed above? I'm new to loading 3D graphics, a format that has many documents & tutorials for it would be great. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
I haven't used alot of different formats, but as far as I can tell, all formats(I used) don't store the textures within the model file.

Till thus far, I've seen md2, X, and I think 3ds/max don't store the textures in the file itself.

Loading models would be much more complicated by placing the textures inside the model itself, since most APIs allow you to use some sort of default texture loader. DirectX has it's own class in the D3DX, and for OpenGL there are a ton of open-source libraries which work pretty good with OpenGL.

Loading the models from the files would make texture loader more difficult, as you as programmer need to read the start and length from each texture, read those bytes and then pass them to your texture loader.

However, you could create your own model format, which supports skeletal animation, triangles for meshes and whatnot. It would take you some time, but if that's what you want, go for it.

If you want to protect your models/textures, why not go with a PAK file or a ZIP file? There are plenty of libraries doing those kind of things.

Toolmaker

What libraries are there for OpenGL? I tried searching but probably searched for the wrong words.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!