• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Repirr

Opinion

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all! I am, as I'm sure you've already guessed, a newb to the world of programming. To start off on my journey I got a few books. They are: -Beginning C++ Programming -Programming Role Playing Games With DirectX and -Game Coding, Complete Second Edition. I had read the reviews on the site and these books seemed the best in my eyes. I was still wondering though, are there any other books that could help me? That, or are some of these books going to be to advanced for me even with the support of the other books? I hope I made sense, and thank you all!

Advertisement
I dont think you will be able to understand much from "Programming Role Playing Game with DirectX" before reading "Beginning C++ Programming", Game Coding Complete also discuss some stuff where it is good to know C++.

EDIT: Yes there will be many other helpful books, but start be reading Beginning C++ Programming and Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX, then you have a good idea of what books you need to further develop your skills.

I have all three of those! A book that I strongly suggest is Beginning Game Programming by Michael Morrison. That is the book that has helped me the most so far. Read the Beginning C++ Programming book first for sure though.

Patrick

[Edited by - TyroWorks on August 20, 2005 11:06:16 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!