• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
e-u-l-o-g-y

[.net] Assemblies w/win32 dll dependencies

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I'm making a GUI for an engine I'm working on. The engine is separated into two win32 dll's and the GUI is supposed to be written in C#. I've decided to make the interface between C# and the engine using C++/CLI since that seems like the cleanest and best solution. So what I have is the following: EngineA.dll - the two engine dll's in win32 code EngineB.dll - * SVCore.dll - The C++/CLI interface class. Exposes functionality from the engines SceneViewer.exe - The gui Now the problem arises when I'm trying to include a reference to SVCore into the SceneViewer project (etiher a reference to the project or to the target dll). The class compiles and I get the following warning: "Warning 8 Could not load file or assembly 'SVCore, Version=1.0.2057.40039, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified." The other problem is when I try to use a canvas control that's using SVCore. I get a similar error message saying that it failed to create the component because it failed to load SVCore or one of its dependencies. Now I've found out that this is because the designer doesn't seem to find the engine dll's. I just find that strange since I've tried to place them everywhere within the project folders. Everything seems to work fine though when I put the dll's in the system32 directory - but this is NOT an option at all (editing the path is not an option either). So does anybody have any solutions as to how I should set up my projects for this to work? Or any other way to fix the problem? Thank you in advance! [edit] Changed the post to give better information about the problem [Edited by - e-u-l-o-g-y on August 20, 2005 5:17:14 AM]

Advertisement
initially, windows looks in the root directory of the project, that is, the actual location of the binary file that you are running. After that, it looks through all the directories that are stored in the PATH environment variable. You can view the PATH on the command prompt by just typing PATH, it's semicolon delimited. That said, the win32.dll is DEFINITELY in one of the directories of the PATH.

Thank's though I was not asking about win32.dll. I know that the project searches in the current dir, then the windows dir and then the path (or was it path, then windows?). The problem is that I link with an assembly (dll) that's linked with two win32 dlls. When they're all in the same directory and I run the program it's all peachy, but the designer isn't too happy. It seems like it doesn't search for the win32 dll's in the same directory as the C++/CLI dll.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!