SOLVED, C++, how do I access the '[ ]' thingy if the vector was passed as a wotsit?

Started by
4 comments, last by darenking 18 years, 8 months ago
OK, so I'm not very good at terminology, but I know what I mean. I have an object, World, that has vectors of various different things, and I'm creating a new object called Create that loads data from a file and uses the data to create objects in the World object. Anyway, the World object passes the addresses of some of its objects to Create like this: Create* create = new Create(); // I assume this is the best way to create the object? create->File(&m_Maze, &m_Characters, &m_Tiles); These objects are members of World, so in world.h we have: Maze m_Maze; vector<Character*> m_Characters; vector<BITMAP*> m_Tiles; //Allegro bitmaps They are received by Create like this: Create::File(Maze* const maze, vector<Character*>* const characters, vector<BITMAP*>* const tiles); (If anyone thinks I've done this wrong let me know but it seems to work...) And stored in Create like this: m_pMaze = maze; m_pCharacters = characters; m_pTiles = tiles; This all works fine, and I can add tiles to the m_pTiles vector like this: m_pTiles->push_back( create_bitmap( TILE_WIDTH, TILE_HEIGHT ) ); But I get an error about 'cannot convert' something or other when I try access elements in the vectors as though they were arrays: m_pTiles[tile] eg using Allegro drawing commands: putpixel( m_pTiles[tile], x, y, colour ); I'm sure there must be a simple explanation! [Edited by - darenking on August 20, 2005 1:45:32 PM]
Advertisement
Solution:
putpixel( m_pTiles->at( tile ), x, y, colour );

But I'm not going to touch on the good and the bad with a long pole. Greetz,

Illco
you can't use the bracket operator on a pointer (well... yeah but it is not what you want).

What you need to do is dereference the pointer, then you can use its member functions, and bracket is just a function like any other.

(*m_pTiles)[tile]
You could always pass by reference unless there's a good reason not to.
If you want to simply pass the vector data without copying it, then do as ZQF said and pass by reference.
Create::File(Maze &maze, vector<Character*> &characters, vector<BITMAP*> &tiles);

And then to call it:
create->File(m_Maze, m_Characters, m_Tiles);
Projects:> Thacmus - CMS (PHP 5, MySQL)Paused:> dgi> MegaMan X Crossfire
Thanks all, that one is safely put to bed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement