• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
The Ice Master

First Languages?

This topic is 4834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
javascript - probably a good choice. It was an introduction to thinking programatically without a lot of complicated syntax, and it was sort-of useful in that you could practice HTML & CSS & javascript all at once and build webpages with it. Also no compile times. :-D

I started learning using basic, I didn't consider it that good of a language to learn off of.

It was my second language which really got me into programming, and that was pascal, compiling with the old dos turbo pascal. I had a lot of fun with that language.

Action Script, I wanted to create a game so i got flash.
I found out i was better in programming then drawing so
a steped over to Visual Basic, now im doing C++ and im fine
with it.

Tjaalie,

C is the first language i learned. Simple and straight-forward. But the world is moving toward OOP.

Perl, and then C++ (not C)
I dont think perl was a good choice, because i wanted to program games and not scripts.
and i dont include VB when i was very young, i didnt really understood it.

My first language was BASIC on an old Spectrum 128 I picked up at a car boot sale when I were a nipper. I remember using it to program the worst golf game ever made, because at the time I was obsessed with Mario golf on the game boy. Ah, the memories... but with that kind of machine you didn't really HAVE much of a choice, so I can't really call it a bad one even though, in todays world, it would be.

QBasic - Well, I think it was good experience for me, because I never programmed before then. So it was a good choice. Actually, there is not bad choice. You have to learn how to program, so any language is good for a beginner. Then you choose what suits you best.

**** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****

To answer your question The Ice Master, it was the only thing I had to program with. :)

:stylin: "Make games, not war."

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!