First Languages?

Started by
33 comments, last by ScottC 18 years, 8 months ago
I was wondering if everyone could post their first PROGRAMMING language they have ever learned, and say why or why not it was a good choice.
Advertisement
&#106avascript - probably a good choice. It was an introduction to thinking programatically without a lot of complicated syntax, and it was sort-of useful in that you could practice HTML & CSS & &#106avascript all at once and build webpages with it. Also no compile times. :-D
I started learning using basic, I didn't consider it that good of a language to learn off of.

It was my second language which really got me into programming, and that was pascal, compiling with the old dos turbo pascal. I had a lot of fun with that language.
A bit of basic and assembly on the C64
Assembly and C on the Amiga
C++ on PC
Domine non secundum peccata nostra facias nobis
Action Script, I wanted to create a game so i got flash.
I found out i was better in programming then drawing so
a steped over to Visual Basic, now im doing C++ and im fine
with it.

Tjaalie,
if (*pYou == ASSHOLE) { pYou->Die(); delete pYou; };
C is the first language i learned. Simple and straight-forward. But the world is moving toward OOP.
Perl, and then C++ (not C)
I dont think perl was a good choice, because i wanted to program games and not scripts.
and i dont include VB when i was very young, i didnt really understood it.
pex.
My first language was BASIC on an old Spectrum 128 I picked up at a car boot sale when I were a nipper. I remember using it to program the worst golf game ever made, because at the time I was obsessed with Mario golf on the game boy. Ah, the memories... but with that kind of machine you didn't really HAVE much of a choice, so I can't really call it a bad one even though, in todays world, it would be.
QBasic - Well, I think it was good experience for me, because I never programmed before then. So it was a good choice. Actually, there is not bad choice. You have to learn how to program, so any language is good for a beginner. Then you choose what suits you best.
**** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****

To answer your question The Ice Master, it was the only thing I had to program with. :)

:stylin: "Make games, not war."
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement