• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gamelife

Progressive mesh, good to use?

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For those experienced about D3DX progressive mesh, I would like to hear your comments about its performance/features of performing LOD on general meshes (e.g. buildings). Do you find it good to use, or do you find any particular reasons for not using it and better implement your own LOD system? Moreover, for a game which allows continuous camera movement at all distances, do you have any tips to judge when to use (a) or (b): (a) discrete LOD & morphing: morph between a number of pregenerated meshes. This involve a few more vertex shader instructions done on gpu for every frame. (b) continuous LOD: use ID3DXPMesh and set number of faces/vertices according to current view. I'm not sure how efficient those SetNumFaces/SetNumVertices calls are, but this certainly require dynamic updates to the VB/IB by cpu. OTOH, this needn't be done for every frame. Thanks for sharing your thoughts ~~~

Advertisement
I think it depends on a few things:

(1) Do you have your own skinning/animation system in place? Otherwise, some aspects of the dynamic LOD would be hard to control. You do have the functionality to retrieve the vertex and index buffers of the PMesh though, which makes things a little bit easier.

(2) Have your artists been creating multiple versions of your models, for each LOD? If you already have this is place, it would just be easier and more efficient to switch between them.

SetNumFaces() and SetNumVertices() can be quite costly, especially if you are doing it for multiple models each frame. You really want to minimize the number of changes that you make.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!