• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ghosted

Vertical Shooter with Source

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A while a go I started putting together a tutorial for a simple vertical shooter but things soon got sidetracked and the tutorial concept was quickly forgotten as things became mildly playable. A few comical additions alterations later and Ego Shooter was born, a simple little shmup that sees you in control of a little craft with a growing ego. How To Play: It's a simple score attack challenge where the aim is to shoot as many of the deadly red bullets heading your way without them hitting your Ego (the center of the craft). You do have a shield but once hit it takes 4 or 5 seconds to recharge. Z will fire your many lasers while the arrow keys steer your craft. You can also slow time using the X key but this drains your shield. Likewise, if you have a full shield you can overcharge it into a huge beam weapon clearing a path in front of you using the Spacebar. One final point, the more you shoot, the bigger your ego gets.
But wait, there's more. Included in the zip file is the entire C++/OpenGL Source Code. Thats right, free source code. Now I know the code is not an ideal learning resource but it does have some reasonable form to it. It's fairly modular with a sensible use of object orientation and there are some handy little effects that others may like to use. My use of dirty arrays and limited commenting leaves a lot to be desired but, like I said, it strayed from being a tutorial and simply became a little distraction. When I was learning, I was always eager to look at others code so it shouldn't hurt to release this. The file is hosted on some old webspace and I've no idea how long it will last but give it a try if you like... Ego Shooter.zip - Source included Roughly 1.1Mb I hope that may be of some use to someone and if not, it may just provide a little distraction for a while. Let me know how you get on. Edit: Removed cloned files in zip (thanks xEricx) [Edited by - ghosted on August 20, 2005 9:27:14 AM]

Advertisement
Thats rather nice. [grin] I only managed about 3rd place on the scoreboard though.

Would be nice to be able to fire more bullets when you've grown far enough though - you end up so big it's tricky to shoot a large enough gap to move though. :)

Thats kinda where the beam weapon comes in, to clear a path at opportune moments, but obviously there is a risk involved as it uses your shield meter. In all honesty the concept of making the ship grow was only added for a laugh one day but we found it quite amusing listening to people screaming (literally) as they attempted to guide something the size of a bus through the hail of bullets armed with only the poxy lasers.

I was tempted to put some more thought into and actually apply some considered design alterations but the thing was light-heartedly thrown together in spare time.

Anyway, glad you liked it.

Wow - that was fun as hell! Just spent the last 20 glued to it. Haven't got above 9400 - yet. Very fun game.

:stylin: "Make games, not war."

Haven't had the time to test it yet... but it appears that in your Sounds folder, there's a zip that takes almost 4 megs... and from looking at the files it seems to be the same files you're distributing. I guess you could save some bandwidth by removing it :)

Eric

Not sure if this is my fault but when it comes to reconfiguring the controls, it asks for left, up down and fire, but no right. After i had pressed the left arrow key for left, in game it moved me right.

ace

You're right xEricx, keen eyes you got there. Not sure how I managed that but I've replaced the zip and that takes it down to 1.1Mb. Rating++

As for not getting above 9400 Stylin that's actually quite a tidy score. Breaking the 10000 barrier is considered a rights of passage amongst the testers and I believe their record lies at around 12000 somewhere due simply to memorising the patterns. Mad fools.

Unless I'm missing something, I die in one hit whether my shield is at full or zero. I find it odd that no one else has mentioned this.

EDIT: Er wait, your shield has to be at max to work and only blocks one tiny bullet? Thats some pathetic shield technology ;)

I like the fact that 'coloured primitives' were used instead of external graphics as well as the challenging gameplay which requires memorizing patterns. I'd rather have the game be 'too hard' than 'too easy'.

Any other quick arcade games in the forseeable future? I'd love to see what you would with a simple Tempest like vector game concept. I'm sure you could come up with something cool and of course challenging. :)

best,
code10

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!