• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mark S

making 2d games

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have been programming c++ for a while and understand classes quite clearly. I havent bothered with inheritance and templates yet. It must be a common question but i havent had a decent answer to it yet. When is it a good time to move from console programming to Windows programming . Is having a good grasp of classes enough knowledge. Any Thoughts Also can i program any 2d game using windows alone , such as a 2d platform game? thanks.

Advertisement
for the first question:

I think the most important knowledge of programming you need is pointers and references. (and their use in function parameters)

Inheritance is a fairly important issue though, I think you would do well to learn about it! (its very useful)

as for the second part, I recommend you use SDL to program some 2D games - you dont even need to know windows programming for this. (Im pretty sure?)

Yes, you can make a complete 2d game using the windows API. That is all I have worked with so far, but I will be trying to learn DirectX once I finish the breakout clone I am working on right now. I agree with gav86 about learning about pointers and references, they are a necessity. Inheritance is also a pretty important part of c++, and very useful.

Patrick

Yeah, I would recemond SDL first. SDL is easy to learn. You can probaly learn it pretty good in about a week. I am learning SDL now, and I am creating a Pong Clone with it. The thing that I have noticed that you will probaly use alot in SDL(not sure about other API's as SDL is the first I have studied.)is that you use pointers and pointers to functions alot.

I wish you all the luck in future programing.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Mark S

I have been programming c++ for a while and understand classes quite clearly.
I havent bothered with inheritance and templates yet.

If you don't get inheritance, you don't understand classes "quite clearly".

Indeed, inheritance is one of the main concepts when learning OOP. I would also say give sdl a try. It is awesome for programming 2d stuff. Very easy to install and you can be programming graphics in no time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!