• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Vladk10000

College Questions

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I read this article: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article792.asp 1) In the section "What Courses to Take" it says "...you're not going to find many courses on computer games." I noticed that too because I've been to several websites of colleges in my state and I only found one old class. Here's the link: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/classes/AY2005/ If you search for CS4455 you'll see that it says Video Game Design but if you keep pressing Find Next, there was a course called CS4455 - Video Game Design and Programming in Spring 2002 and now it's just called Video Game Design. I'm confused about this because did they cut out the programming part of it? 2) I'm just wondering if the article is correct. I mean the courses part of it. Maybe there are better courses for game programming(in Georgia Tech) than the ones that were listed in the article? That article was written in 1997 so I think some things might have changed since then. 3) The article doesn't mention DirectX or OpenGL and I can't find courses that teach DX and OGL in Georgia Tech. So...how are you supposed to learn to make games if there aren't any courses that teach DX and OGL? 4) Is it worth getting a Master's degree in computer science or is Bachelor's ok for game programming? I mean, I know that Master's is better but I'm not sure if it'll be worth my time and my money. Thanks.

Advertisement
Hey,
I don't know anything about Georgia Tech, as I haven't checked them out yet, but, I have been looking for colleages all summer for when I get their and well, I have found North Texas State University. They have a Computer Gaming part of the colleage. You learn DirectX I think, and at the end of one of the classes you team with the Art people their, that want to do art for games or something and you create a game with them. You are assigned into groups I belive.

Anyway, let me see if I can find the link to it.

http://larc.csci.unt.edu/

Try that. If that dosen't work then tell me.

Sorry if I couldn't help you. I wasn't sure if you only want to go to colleage in Georgia or what.

Chad.

1) Game Design: Some people think that 'game design' is a legitimate field. It may be more of a game theory class or something. Anyways, theres not very many jobs that care about game design. Usually, someone who got a hold of someone elses money, came up with an idea, and calls themself "Executive Producer" wants to do this easy, easy job.

2) The classes I would take would be programming language, database design, algorithms, linear algebra, phyics 1, advanced mechanics, networking, computer graphics i/ii. All of these are way more important to game development than any game specific class.

3) Computer graphics would teach this. However most people just get the red book and teach themselves.

4. Considering most game careers last less than 5 years, a M.S. is a good idea. It means at least 10k more a year in pay. This will significantly impact your quality of life.

1. Keep in mind that Game Design is completely different from Game Programming. They probably dropped the programming because they already offer classes in programming.

2. The courses part of the article is good.

3) There are no courses in DirectX or OpenGL because those are just graphics API's. If you take a course in computer graphics, you will probably learn all about graphics plus DirectX or OpenGL.

4) A Masters degree is worth more money in most other fields, but not in game programming. However, if you have the money and the opportunity, do not pass up the chance to get a Masters degree or even a PhD.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!