Odds?

Started by
4 comments, last by Doom-Box 18 years, 7 months ago
Ya know I here alot of people, telling alot of other people. That they have no chance getting a job as a game programmer. Now heck even if everyone person that comes in here says something like "There is no way" or "Aint gonna happen" I am still going to do it because its fun. I just wondered what the odds were that someone could get a job doing something like this. Thanks, Doom-Box
Advertisement
Don't know, but why is it so important to have a "job" in game programming. If you like it, do it. Personally, I try to avoid jobs in general. I'd rather be good at investing, then I can do anything I like, whenever I like. I even gave up trying to work on a game team because it ends up becoming a job. The game ends up being a game I'm not really interested in because someone else is in charge.
It's not impossible to get a job as a game programmer, it's just difficult.

Here are the two things that will help you the most:
  1. Get a degree in Computer Science from a well-known and respected university. Get good grades and learn as much as you can.
  2. Develop a portfolio consisting of several games and other software that you have written.

The reason for the constant warnings is this: if you bet your future on getting a job making video games and you don't find the job, or you decide you don't like the job (that happens a lot), then you will have wasted your time and you will be stuck.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Everyone says it's difficult to get into the industry, but as far as I can tell that's just not true; game companies are hiring like mad. The difficult part is being a good enough software developer to get hired by anybody in the industry. It's simply an area where you CANNOT get by with mediocre talent.
Most game companies are hiring if you've got the skills, the personality, and the drive. Having said that we throw out a hundred resumes for every one that we call.

DOn't get into it for the wrong reasons (money). YOu gotta want to make games for their own sake. Otherwise, pick a diferent job.
Well I like making games..Thats why Im doing it at such a young age. (not really young just not an adult freshman this yr.) Anyways im not doing it for the $$ heck if you do the math out they probably dont make much money at all.
I just thought it would be awsome to have a career doing something I like as a hobby.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement