ATI Drivers 8.16.20 released (08/17/05)

Started by
4 comments, last by Scarfy 18 years, 7 months ago
I just saw that the latest ATI driver installer is out and it now supports building native packages for Fedora, SuSE, Debian, and Ubuntu. This means that now basically whatever distro you are running you can use an actual package rather than ATIs binary installer which treats every distribution the same way and has a habit of not working on any of them. If you're using ATI's linux drivers that are over 3 months old I'd strongly recommend updating, my glxgears framerate from the 8.12 drivers has literally doubled. (The binary installer is still of course an option for those who are running non-rpm, non-deb systems like LFS or Slackware) The 8.14 drivers were tremendous improvements and the 8.16 release notes indicate that the 2.6.12 kernel and GCC 4.0 are now supported. It's good to see that ATI is finally taking Linux support seriously. Radeon x86 driver Radeon x86_64 driver
Advertisement
Fantastic news. A couple more releases with improvements like this and I can buy ATI cards again.
These drivers suck! I removed them after 5 minutes. Not only I couldn't get them to use my default resolution 1280x800 but they perform worse than the previous version!

Bad job, ATI, bad job! Bad ATI! Bad ATI!
Another nameless person in the virtual space...
Nice, I'll have to try that on my new Debian installation [smile]
Professional-Noob Guitarist : Don't try to play the music, you have to feel it!
Quote:Original post by NamelessTwo
These drivers suck! I removed them after 5 minutes. Not only I couldn't get them to use my default resolution 1280x800 but they perform worse than the previous version!

Bad job, ATI, bad job! Bad ATI! Bad ATI!

What distro are you running?

You should be able to edit your xorg.conf to reflect your required resolution.

Did you have 1280x800 working with previous drivers?
Parallel RealitiesProject: Starfighter
Quote:Original post by cozman
The 8.14 drivers were tremendous improvements and the 8.16 release notes indicate that the 2.6.12 kernel and GCC 4.0 are now supported. It's good to see that ATI is finally taking Linux support seriously.

Again, what distro are you running?

I'm using Fedora Core 3 and am on 8.14 at the moment. Is there a noticable difference between 8.14 and 8.16? I thought I noticed a bit of a jump with 8.14 from 8.12 but since I mostly use OpenGL for my own apps they're not exactly stretching the box! :)
Parallel RealitiesProject: Starfighter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement