• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Calin

Compiling with Visual Studio 2005 Express Beta 2.

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have compiled my game with Visual Studio 2005 Express Beta2. When I launch the game independently it won`t run. When I launch the game from within VS it runs without any problem. Does anyone has any idea what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
When run within VS, does it run fine in both Debug and Release modes?

Does it only error when you go to the output folder and run the exe?

What are the errors, if any, or does the app just not start?

There are a number of possible reasons. One is that the program relies on dependencies which exist only within your VS project.

Also, when you run your program in Debug mode within VS, it is able to catch any errors you have regarding memory allocation - access violations basically. The release build (separate exe) isn't able to handle this in the same way, so null pointers and other such things will cause the program to bail out and die in the majority of cases.

Could we have some more information about your exact problem please? If your game doesn't have excessive amounts of source code you could post some of it here for us to look at.

HTH,

ukdeveloper.

Quote:

When run within VS, does it run fine in both Debug and Release modes?

Yes
Quote:

Does it only error when you go to the output folder and run the exe?

When I run the game outside VS the game just exits without saying anything - just exits as if i had presses the Exit Button, no error.
Quote:

Could we have some more information about your exact problem please? If your game doesn't have excessive amounts of source code you could post some of it here for us to look at.

I started to make a (beginner)DirectX engine. I got into this problem when I added some code for texture loading. When I run the game (with VS) I can see the textures do load in. The problem is, as I sad, I can`t run it outside VS.

Check you error trapping around the texture loading systems, it maybe having trouble finding the texture files.

Mykre: You were right. I didn`t copy my jpg files from VS Project folder to Release/Debug folders. Thanks so much.

[Edited by - Calin on August 25, 2005 3:00:34 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!