• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Animus

decompile?

This topic is 4834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello is it really impossible to decompile a exe file to see how a program works? it would be a good way for me to learn programming i think . if its possible the what program do i need and how do i know in which language it is written?

Advertisement
Decompilers exist, but for native object code, especially optimized native object code, they're more or less worthless. More common are disassemblers, which will only give you the corresponding assembly code, not the original HLL code.

Anyways, looking at other people's source code is not generally a good way to begin to learn to program. Get a book.

1. It's possible.

2. No, it wouldn't be a good way to learn programming. Most decompiled code isn't very intuitive.

3. You don't know what programming language it's written in (unless it's in a special bytecode, like Java. Although, even then, it's just good guess). Most decompilers decompile to C.

oke thx for the reply
i already have a book c++ grand cru
but my problem is it only explains the c++ functions not how you can make
a program.
i also have a book game programming in 24 hours but it is whorthless.
i need something that learns me step by step how to build a program

look at the recommended books in the "For Beginners" section, they should be good enough.

-Fenryl

"Decompiling" is also known as "Reverse-Engineering", which is an illegal process. If you want to decompile something, do it on something without a copyright or something that you made.

Quote:
Original post by orcfan32
"Decompiling" is also known as "Reverse-Engineering", which is an illegal process.

Stealing IP addresses is illegal and I will not be explaining how to do it here!

Seriously, though, in most cases reverse engineering is not an illegal process. You should really check your facts before posting.

Don't tell me that. Think about this: reverse-engineering some of todays hottest video game titles and the companies found out. BANG! All the sudden your slapped with a lawsuit for...oh, shouldn't be any more than 5 million bucks..

If stealing IP addresses is illegal then why does PHPBB show you the IPs of users as an admin?

Quote:
Original post by orcfan32
Don't tell me that. Think about this: reverse-engineering some of todays hottest video game titles and the companies found out. BANG! All the sudden your slapped with a lawsuit for...oh, shouldn't be any more than 5 million bucks..
I'm sorry, I didn't understand the push of this statement at all. Are you talking about an instance in which someone was sued for reverse engineering some of today's hottest video game titles?

Quote:
If stealing IP addresses is illegal then why does PHPBB show you the IPs of users as an admin?
That was a joke... you might remember from a week or two back, an internet meme regarding a lady who was utterly clueless about computers, yet posted a very matter-of-fact "tutorial" on computers which ended with that little nugget. I'm sure the GDNet Ninja Clicky Squad will be by in a few minutes to post a link.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!