• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
THACO

Exporting, modeling, texturing

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know kinda a vague topic sorry. I am creating my own exporter and it is going fine. Is it reasonable to only expect one texture to be used for each character model? I assume it should be, I could add in support for multiple textures but I don't feel that much of a need and it makes the code complicated and a lot more code because finding the exact material file name is a pain in 3dsmax. I do it for my levels they can have multiple textures per mesh but for a player can I just set it to 1 texture? I wouldn't be shooting myself in the foot later on would I? -THACO

Advertisement
If you already have the code (for meshes) I presume it would be a small step to incorporate it into your player exporter. In what way does your character mesh differ from a normal mesh anyway?

As you'd expect one can think of many uses for multiple textures, on your character just as much as on any other mesh. Unless there is something special about your character I am missing. A character with diffuse/normal/specular/alpha would be nice now wouldn't it?

Greetz,

Illco

You do bring up good points. While I do have the code it is messy code. I could actually do the diffuse/normal/etc currently. When I really mean is in 3dsmax (where im exporting) you can have a different texture for each face. Mainly what I couldn't do is have multiple diffuse textures, say one for just the torso, one for just the head etc. I could make it dynamic so you could theoretically have one texture file for each face. I guess I might as well just put that functionality in since I have the code. It makes an intermediate file which I was going to then cleanup and make for easy loading so while it will be more of a pain it. There is no real difference between my levels (normal mesh) and character meshes because character mesh is animated through bones. Thanks

-THACO

That all sounds really complicated. In 3D Studio Max you also have material IDs and multimaterials. I.e. you can retrieve all faces with a certain material mapped on them. If there are multiple textures, this will be a multimaterial and the face will yield the ID of the map to be used. You can use the same texture files 3D Studio Max uses (and which I recommend to avoid redundant asset flow; one texture file per face is really unmanageable).

Greetz,

Illco

If you are creating your own art assets then sure, make the rule that there is only one texture per mesh. In this case you can control the art pipeline. Be forwarned, if you are using freely available or purchased models from the internet, then more than likely these models will have a mesh with more than one texture assigned to it.

Sometimes the artist will use the method Illco mentioned where a material is of type multi-sub, other times the mesh will have unique standard materials assigned to different faces within a single mesh.

Luckily you can support the later and multi-sub materials by just exporting the multiple textures using their sub material ID's as MAX will convert the later into a multisub format on export. I belive this is correct but it has been awhile since I actually did any max export code.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!