• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ShdwMarth

Where can I get free downloads?

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am new to game design and just want to learn as much as I can. The only thing is that im not getting a new computer for a few months so I cant download any graphics programs or modelers, etc. Most likely I can download programming languages though. Any free game development downloads would be great. My comp has only 64 mb of ram and a pentium II processor. Yeah its crap but I would like anything that could run on that. Thank you for any suggestions. ShdwMarth

Advertisement
I think blender will run on those specs.

if your into learning to program your specs shouldn't stop you from writing a text adventure in c/c++.

Because you are new to game development my suggestion for you is to find a compiler and learn a programming language like C or C++. You should be able to run a compiler like Dev-C++ on a PII. If the latest version refuse to run try finding some older one.

Note: Dev-C++ will compile only C,C++ code. If you want to learn another language you will have to find a suitable compiler.

Learn a programming language such as Python/C/C++ (rated from easy to hard)
you can get a free compiler here: http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/index.shtml

I recommend that you sue Bloodshed C++ for free compiler when you are gonna learn C or C++.
If you are gonna learn C++, there is a sticky with tutorials about that and you can find some ebooks in the FAQ of the forum.
You can fin more information for python on www.python.org and you can find some nice ebooks in the FAQ of this forum again.

For free 3D modeling tools, I strongly recommend Blender3D and can be found at www.blender3d.com.

-Fenryl

Guest Anonymous Poster
yeah there's plenty you can do in the console, I still do a lot of my prototyping there, plus when ever I'm learning something new in the language, lately that was stl.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!