• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Fabio de T P

Pixel Shading with GLSL in a Geforce2 MX Is it possible??

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi... i am wondering start to learn GLSL, but io have a poor Geforce2 MX... is there any way to emulate the pixel and vertex pipeline on CPU... i made a search before on Google, and I found that we can emulate the nv30 chipsets with some drivers... so, i looked for in my driver and didnt find the "emulate nv30" option... so, I downloaded the RivaTuner, and there I set on the emulation then, the extensions appear when I use the glGetString (GL_EXTENSIONS) but i couldn´t run a pixel shading yet... is there any chance for me to study GLSL with my Geforce2 MX or I will need to buy another GPU??? (and I dont have money for this yet).. thanks in advance... Fábio aka Odelot

Advertisement
Even though you get NV30 emulation (GeForce 3), that's not good enough for GLSL. NV30 is only pixel shader 1.1-level hardware.

The 6200 is actually fairly affordable these days, and is likely to be faster than your GeForce 2 MX. Plus it actually supports GLSL pretty well!

It'll run you 54 smackers plus shipping to upgrade.

I've here a 'poor' MX440; it supports quite well vertex shaders but not fragment shaders (obviously I could run the emulator but its software implementation make it really really slow)

So, there isn´t a way to emulate GLSL in the CPU, and test pixel shading programs in my Geforce2MX??? :-(

here in my college, the lab that I works bought a Geforce 7800... hehe.. but i want programming home... and i wont have Administatror permission in this machine... :-( ... i think I will need to buy this 6200

but I will try to program in the Geforce 7800 (and test some games, if it is possible).... the machine is a:

P4 3.6ghz , 4 GB ram, 300Gb Hd, a good motherboard and THE machine, the Geforce 7800.... so, i will try to use its tomorrow...

but i am really sad... .my Geforce2MX, that makes me happy a lot of times (it run halflife 2 and doom3) is now a piece of crap...

thanks...

Quote:
Original post by blizzard999
I've here a 'poor' MX440; it supports quite well vertex shaders but not fragment shaders (obviously I could run the emulator but its software implementation make it really really slow)

but is there any way to emulate this??? i´ve tried with the nv30_emulation, but i could´t test any program that uses GLSL and pixel shading.... it makes an Error, saying that there isn´t the GLSL support

please, tell me how did you do this...

http://www.mesa3d.org/

It's not an emulation, it's a software implementation of OpenGL. As far as I know, it supports vertex/fragment programs(assembly style). I don't think it supports GLSL yet, but using Cg you will be able to write shaders in high-level languange.

As we are already speaking of this, is there a way to run (ASM) pixel shader 1.4 on GeForce3, which supports only 1.1? What do I have to do to run such program?

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
Even though you get NV30 emulation (GeForce 3), that's not good enough for GLSL. NV30 is only pixel shader 1.1-level hardware.

The 6200 is actually fairly affordable these days, and is likely to be faster than your GeForce 2 MX. Plus it actually supports GLSL pretty well!

It'll run you 54 smackers plus shipping to upgrade.

Erm, the NV30 was the FX line, the NV20 was the Geforce3.

Quote:
is there a way to run (ASM) pixel shader 1.4 on GeForce3

Right, the NV30 was the 5000 series. I had actively pushed that out of my memory, because everyone had to use a Radeon 9700 at the time instead ;-)

Anyway, I know of no way of getting GLSL fragment/pixel shading on an old card. Get a new card to do new stuff.

Quote:
is there a way to run (ASM) pixel shader 1.4 on GeForce3

No. The hardware simply doesn't support it -- you'd need six texture units, and two iterations (with a dependency chain), whereas the NV20/25 series only supports four texture units in a single iteration (but with some limited inter-dependency).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!