• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vrok137

OpenGL BEGINNING OPENGL & GLUT

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone. I am somewhat of an intermediate level programmer (im no expert) who wants to find out links or resources that teach me opengl/glut. I know C++ well and a little C(like sprintf etc). I also know basic Win32 programming. So would this qualify me worthy enough to learn opengl & glut lol?? If so please direct me where to get opengl and glut, plus some tutorials to get me started. just to let u know, im not a complete noob who want to make another "Halo" in 3 days lol. Here are the list of stuff im currently using to program: DEV C++ 5 BETA MAYA 6 UNLIMITED AXIOMS'S "PIXEL TOOLBOX" (to design cursors & icons for my win apps) WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION W/ SERVICE PACK 2 + NVIDIA 64 MB graphics card (hehe) R THERE ANY SDL/OPENGL TUTORIALS?????? OH YEA.... WILL SDL WORK WITH DEV C++ 5 BETA???????? [Edited by - vrok137 on August 20, 2005 10:32:59 PM]

Advertisement
I started learning OGL briefly after learning C. Then I moved onto C++ since I had a very limited knowledge of C++, and I think in terms of objects. http://nehe.gamedev.net guided me through the early days. http://www.lighthouse3d.com has helped me a lot recently. I also got myself the OpenGL Superbible aswell, a reasonable book for reference.

Addition: Anyone who can make Halo in 3 days deserves respect [wink] if only it wasn't the laws of physics and our own bodies that would prevent someone from physically doing it. I'm having to skip nights of sleep just to get a demo of my game running within the next 30 days!

I've started in OpenGL myself, but I'm using SDL with it - I've never tried GLUT.

SDL is nice and easy too, use OpenGL for your graphics, and SDL for everything else, and you're onto a winner IMHO.

Quote:
Original post by vrok137
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION W/ SERVICE PACK 2 + NVIDIA 64 MB graphics card (hehe)

(im open to any feedback)

You said you were open to feedback [wink]:

Although just starting out in OpenGL won't stress your card too much, you might want a new card anyway, just for general use and your own piece of mind. That thing is ancient. Newer cards will often support OpenGL 2.0, which is far more modern, and future proof for the time being.

thnx for the info, but from what Ive heard, there are two approaches to opengl programming. There is the win32 way and the OS system independant way (correct me if im wrong). It seems Nehe tutorials go along the win api way. Is there a chance that there might be some more info on the OS independant way.

ps: whoever makes halo in 3 days does deserve repect. But whoever makes A game with a physics engine as good as HL2 is the BOMB. they should have their potrait put on all the cereal/twinkie boxes in the world!!that would make em immportal lol...

Quote:
Original post by vrok137
Here are the list of stuff im currently using to program:

DEV C++ 5 BETA

MAYA 6 UNLIMITED

AXIOMS'S "PIXEL TOOLBOX" (to design cursors & icons for my win apps)

WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION W/ SERVICE PACK 2 + NVIDIA 64 MB graphics card (hehe)

(im open to any feedback)

For what I've seen DEV C++ 5 has the GL package installed (libopengl32); I've not started yet to compile GL app with the Bloodshed/gcc.

I suggest you to use SDL instead of GLUT for different reasons

SDL is nice, simple and it can manage in one lib window, input, audio,...and for what I read GLUT was last updated for windows on Nov 2001.

You can also write your wrapper and reimplement the mechanism via SDL or GLUT if you want.
Optional to download are SDL_Image (but I prefer FreeImage ) and SDL_Font.

Quote:

For what I've seen DEV C++ 5 has the GL package installed (libopengl32); I've not started yet to compile GL app with the Bloodshed/gcc.

I suggest you to use SDL instead of GLUT for different reasons

SDL is nice, simple and it can manage in one lib window, input, audio,...and for what I read GLUT was last updated for windows on Nov 2001.

hmmm. I went to the SDL website. It looks promising. But will SDL be able to work with dev c++???

Because dev c++ runs on a mingw/GCC compiler, some packages are not able to work w/dev c++. is SDL ONE OF THEM??

OK, I NOW HAV SDL 4 DEV C++. THE ONLY THING IS, WHERE R SOME TUTORIALS 4 IT?? I SEARCHED THE DOCUMENTATION, BUT ALL I FOUND WAS SKIMPY UNREADABLE MATERIAL (maybe its just me).

R THERE ANY BEGGINNER TUTORIALS ON SDL W/OPENGL??????

Cut back on the caps man. Anyways, SDL tuts? I just learned from downloaded the source for the SDL/Linux tutorials on NeHe. Luckely the SDL/Linux stuff just works in Windows without any hassle. The rest I learn by studying the header files...but i've been programmer a fair amount of time now, so it doesn't take me too long to get the hang of new libraries.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!