• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
The Ice Master

Oh, the irony

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've posted in the begginer's progrmaming forum (this one) and the web development forum. The programmers are telling me to forget web coding for now, and the web developers are telling me vice versa. WHAT SHOULD I DO LOL?!

Advertisement
1. decide what you wanna do
2. get the tools to do it
3. learn how to do it
4. do it

Don't listen to other people that tell you you can't do that or that.

If you wan't to do something, try, learn, fail, try again then sucess. And it's not the opinion of some guy that will change that. Nobody said it's going to be easy for you, but go and do it.

You can pick either or. Start with one, then when you're comfortable with that, do the other.

I started with web dev oh so long ago, and I eventually started to learn how to program using C++ and the such. Pick whatever you want to do, it's up to you, no one else. If you wanna make websites and web apps, by all means, do so. If you want to start learning how to program games and the such, then nothing is holding you back.

I believe you should do whichever interests you most, but, web development is much easier to get started with. You can be coding and running little javascript apps without even downloading anything. You can also install a web server and PHP to quickly make very simple web applications. Then add MySQL for database access. Web dev is simple compared to game development, at least at the start.

You could (sort of) combine the two if you decided to learn to program in Java. You can use it for plenty of back-end stuff on websites, front end stuff using applets, and you can also use it to program 'proper' games in.

I'm not sure if that's what you want to do, but it might be an option.

Java or C#. Python or Ruby ( maybe Perl too, it is strong at network stuff).
Scheme, is very beautifal. All these other languages are Scheme with different syntax and libraries.

C++ is a very difficult language. You can make games in any language, you don't need C++ to make games. It is favored by game programmers because of it's low level nature, and native compiling, but most game programmers are also masochists.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!