• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Holy Fuzz

[.net] Visual Studio Setup Project

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to make an installer for my .Net/MDX game using a Visual Studio Setup project. The issue I'm having is - of course - installing .Net, DirectX, D3DX, and MDX alongside my app. I'm currently using the Microsoft Component Installer, which takes care of .Net, DirectX, and MDX. It does not install D3DX, but that is small enough to bundle with my app. The problem I'm having is running the Component Installer and DXSetup programs during the installing of my game. There appears to be no way to run these programs from my installer without first copying them to the hard drive and then designating them as custom install actions. My current solution is to copy them to Windows\Temp, though I'm not sure if this is appropriate. So is this the right way to go about installing all this stuff alongside my app, or is there a better way? EDIT: Also, is there a way to put a shortcut on the user's start menu that lets the user uninstall my game? And what version of MDX does the Component Installer install? If it's always the latest version, will this cause any problems if my game does not use the laterst version? Thanks! - Fuzz

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!