• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ViperG

Visual Studio 6 vs 2005

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Stay the course! I see no reason to drastically reformat your code to VS 2005. Its a waste of time and you might ruin you code. I have VS 2005 beta2, so far im not impressed with it. I would rather have VC6 than the new "flashy" version of visual studio.

Did i answer your question???

VC6 was released back when Bill Clinton was president and NSYNC had enormous cultural relevance. It was also released in a time when the C++ standard had not been solidified into its current form, lacking things such as partial template specialization and Koenig lookup. Its compiler was notoriously buggy and standards incompliant (it didn't even get for-loops right). The copy of the STL that shipped with it was HORRIBLY buggy, and not just because there were things that it was not fully able to support since the compiler wasn't standards-compliant. It is old, old, old software that does not work very well compared to modern software.

The chances are that when you switch to another compiler, you'll all of a sudden get all sorts of complaints. VC6 doesn't enforce any kind of real compliance to standards, so all sorts of things that you can do with it, you'll find out are dodgy hacks and/or completely unacceptable on more modern compilers.

Therefore, I recommend you stop using it as soon as possible. You will have to switch compilers at some point, so the sooner you can learn what standards compliance really is, the better. VS2005 and 2003 are good choices, as is the free compiler GCC that is the basis of Linux (but the Windows variant MinGW32 is very popular). -Wall, -ansi, and the like are your good friends.

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon

Well I tested it at work and I only had to change my header code a little bit. It seemed to accept my code for the most part.

Plus I could open it still in vs 6. but I had to re do my headers a little bit again.

Thanks for the answers so far but I will wait till more people respond.

Mostly my quesition is have people seen performance increases. as my game uses the vector stl for just about everything.

I guess no one needs my input. Y bother with the whole visual studio thing when microsoft will release a "better" one for twice the cost. Unless u r a serious developer, i say just go with dev c++. ive been using it for about 2-3 years. personally, i like it better than the VS 2005 (maybe cause its still beta).

I wouldn't migrate the project over unless you intend to use the code for other projects into the future. I also wouldn't move an active project over to VS 2005 yet at any rate, as it's still in beta. I would recommend however that you begin any new projects in at least VS 2003 from now on, and preferably VS 2005 when it comes out. If you don't have access to VS 2003 currently, wait for VS 2005 to be released properly, buy it, and make all your new projects through it from then on.

Quote:
Original post by vrok137
Unless u r a serious developer, i say just go with dev c++.

Dev-C++ is a good effort, and it's getting better and better, but the lack of a decent debugger really counts against it. Still, the price is right.

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Quote:
Original post by vrok137
Unless u r a serious developer, i say just go with dev c++.

Dev-C++ is a good effort, and it's getting better and better, but the lack of a decent debugger really counts against it. Still, the price is right.

Bleh. I am trying to discourage Dev-C++ use as much as possible, in favor of Code::Blocks. One significant thing about CodeBlocks is that it can build with both the VC Toolkit and MinGW (as well a couple other compilers). It's also generally a much nicer environment than Dev.

But to answer the original post, I would suggest getting away from VC at all costs. Either switch to Code::Blocks and VC 2003 Toolkit, or move to VC 2005 Beta 2.

Quote:
Original post by ViperG
Should I switch my project over(2D Opengl Game)? ... Dun dun DUN!
Or stay with VS6

If your working in Procedural-C, stick with VS6.

If your working in C++, it may be beneficial for you to have a more standard compliant compiler (Than again, if your C++ code is working great on VS6, it may be broke on VC2005 [rolleyes]).

In any case, just remember that you can try it out (Beta) and see how it works.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!