• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CRAZY COCONUT COW

Seamless terrain & building generator

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am making a side scrolling game, being a crappy artist I decided to use Terragen and Seamless Factory to make my game backgrounds. The seamless background produced is ok for clouds, but for terrain ie mountains, the effect is not so convincing. Any ideas for me to make quick terrain backgrounds for my game, a generator maybe? How about a buildings generator?

Advertisement
For Terragen there are plugins where you can create terrains from greyscale masks. Several 3D Apps also provides you with such displacement plugins. Those greyscale masks can be made seamless with The Gimp for example. Then create the landscape out of it, and it should be seamless, too. Now load the mesh in Terragen ...

Building maker? Nice idea. But there is simply no software that can read mind. It would be the same than a Spritemaker. Oh, wait, for Spritemaker there is Poser *g*

I fear that you have to model this buildings by yourself :)

I was looking for the plugin in http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/resources.shtml

The closest match I can find is.....

SOverlay ( Mac ) - SOverlay is a Surface Layer Effect plugin which lets you overlay an image on the terrain, or use an image to control surface layer distribution. It's based on the Image Overlay plugin from SOPack for Windows.

but I am using windows!!!!

TerraPainter ( Win ) - TerraPainter is a terrain editor which lets you create Terragen terrains by painting with a variety of brushes.

Er...would appreciate if somebody point me a link before I download any of those programmes with my dial up.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!