• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jrmiller84

Algorithm Book Suggestions

This topic is 4834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, I've been working on pong and I'm thinking about grabbing a book on algorithms. Anyone have any suggestions? I dont mind it being just a pure math book or book on computer algorithms as long as it covers some good concepts. Thanks for your help ahead of time!

Advertisement
Introduction to algorithms is the standard uni textbook about algorithms , i aslo liked Algorithms In C++ series by Robert Sedgewick , also i liked the texts by Donald Knuth ( the Art of computer programming ) .

Quote:
Original post by LizardCPP
This is the best and only one you will need for a long time: Introduction to Algorithms . Covers alot, used on most algorithm course at universities around the world.

Lizard

I second this.

It doesn't shy away from rigorous mathematics, but does provide much-welcome explanations for the less-commonly known topics.

It minimally uses differential or integral calculus, though it does make considerable use of series. However, it does provide a nice appendix explaining series in sufficient detail in the back.

The book is also huge. There's way more in it than you'll ever want. It's also structured in such a way that once you get past the first few chapters, you can pretty much skip around and read whichever chapters you want. Each chapter after the first few (which provide derivations of a few fundamental mathematical foundations upon which the rest of the book is built) explains a different algorithm/data structure, with few interdependencies.

Though, it does assume proficiency with programming. Not any specific language, but programming concepts in general - i.e., loops, arrays, functions, etc. Make sure you know these, because it doesn't explain them.

Also, if you're not good with math, or it's just been twenty years since you've done high school algebra, then the book may be too rigorous for you (though it doesn't compare to the Art of Computer Programming in terms of rigor). Just be prepared [smile]

It might save you a lot of time, if you're working in C++, to learn about the algorithms already available in the C++ Standard Library. For this you might want to get a copy of 'The C++ Standard Library', by Nicolai Josuttis (1999). I started developing some algorithms in C during my early stages, but then soon discovered that I could save 'years' by just moving over to C++ and using the excellent algorithms already available in the standard library. These can also be extended for your own purposes, if needed. It's got to be one of the biggest selling points in the C++ language.

--random

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!