learned c++ basics now what?

Started by
10 comments, last by apprentice 18 years, 8 months ago
i learned the c++ basics in 2 days (learned java first of course) I just need some info on opengl, directx and gui's. Questions; can you make games with the normal gui in c++? what is better opengl or directx? what is best for 3d games? i have herd some stuff about game engine's and was wondering what exactly they are and are there worth using? thanks for now
Advertisement
q) can you make games with the normal gui in c++?
a) if you mean the normal windows, yes.

q) what is better opengl or directx?
a) its all a matter of personal taste. opengl is easier to use and cross-platform, whilst directx should give you the better performance in windows. bear in mind opengl is ONLY a graphics API.

q) what is best for 3d games?
a) same answer as above

q) i have herd some stuff about game engine's and was wondering what exactly they are and are there worth using?
a) a game engine isnt the game itself, but a core system/api which your game's code will use. for example, quake is a game engine - it gives you an api to work with to render out a 3d world, place objects, sounds, etc inside it. You dont have to write an engine, although if you do you could reuse it for several games of a similar style. Small games such as pong or space invaders dont require an engine as such, just a primative API.
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
Quote:
Now what?

Time for intermediate C++.

Seriously, even the simpliest games are fairly complex beasts, requiring far more than a cursory knowledge of the language.
For an overview about game engines, see Game Engine Anatomy 101.
I would check out some of nehe's opengl tutorials, and continue make small
programs in c++. I found the opengl api a lot easier to figure out than direct x. For makeing simple gui's and keyboard mouse interaction use the glut opengl framework, it will get you started instead of staring blindly at some confusing win32 windows code. This way you can learn the basics and dont have to worry about all the not so neassesary stuff.
Good luck and have fun
When I converted from java to C++ I started by reading "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup straight through. I am so very glad that I did, as I have since had an understanding that surpasses that of most people who think that they know C++ but learned it from some classes in school or through experience at work. Of course compared to the forumers of Gamedev.net I'm probably somewhere around average, as we have so many masters here. I suggest that you get the same book. It is the best C++ book that there is, and is ideal for someone coming from a java background.
Fool around and make some console programs. Make a text adventure. 2 days really isn't enough time of practice to grasp everything even though you know java. Knowing java def. helps though. I would say check out NeHe tutorials and if you want to go 2d for now, check out sdl and cone3d tutorials.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Quote:
Now what?

Seriously, even the simpliest games are fairly complex beasts, requiring far more than a cursory knowledge of the language.

Agreed, I learned a huge amount of C++ from programming pong, which im still in the process of doing.
i was wondering about the SDL *simple directmedia layer.
would it be best to start with that?

i have made a few 2d games in java but realised there is no future for games and 3d games are a absolute pile of you figure it out.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn

C++ Common Knowledge: Essential Intermediate Programming [smile]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement