• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LinkOfTime

Hi, does anyone know of a Maya 6.0 to DirectX convertor?

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am trying to design simple things with Maya 6.0 and then use them in my VB game using DX 7.0, but, I can't export Maya objects to .x files. Does anyone here know how to do it? Thanks in advance for the help :)

Advertisement
If you get one of the newer versions of the DirectX SDK and install it, the .X exporter is actually automatically installed for you. All you have to do is load it in maya, which the directX SDK gives you instructions on how to do.

Thanks for the help :)
I downloaded the DX 9.0 SDK, but, I don't know where to find the exporter...
I was hoping you could be a bit more specific please... :)
Thanks again

Installing:
The plug-in is installed automatically by the DirectX SDK setup program.

Loading:

click on the drop down Window menu from the main tool bar.
then settings/preferences.
then plug-in manager.

This should open a new window with all the available plug-ins for maya.
Scroll down until you find the right plug-in, it will most likely be towards the bottom. Depending on your version of maya, it will either be called D3DMaya6ExportX.mll or D3DMaya65ExportX.mll. Click the loaded box next to it and it should load for you. This will add a DirectX drop down menu from the main tool bar.

Can't find the file... :(
Do you know which directory it should be in? (Perhaps the DX directory)
I searched my entire computer for more .mll files but the only ones are in the Maya Plugins directory...
What could be the problem?

You need to install the latest version of the directX SDK. Don't just download it, install it. It will install the exporter automatically, then follow the instructions I gave you previously.

Ofcourse I installed it... :)
Anyway, guess it either wasn't the latest version then, or, didn't install it correctly...
I downloaded the SDK version from Jun 05 (hope it's the latest) but not from the Microsoft site...
Thanks for the help anyway :)

Well, I tried to download the SDK version from the Microsoft website and, as it turns out, the file I downloaded before wasn't the SDK, but, just the normal end-user files of DX 9.0... So, it will probably work now :)
Thanks for all the help FunkyMonkey :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Look in the C++ help documentation in the SDK...it tells you how to activate the plugin

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!