• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Frounk

Animation and Vertices

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am currently developping a small 3D engine.I have a class that load a milkshape3D binary file and I want to animate the model but I'm not sure how I should handle Vertices transformation. Should I use a dynamic vertex buffer and update it each frames or should I use a static buffer and regroup each vertices by bone and group and then set the transformation and update the vertice of each groups seperatly(This way I don't have to lock and unlock a vertex buffer each frames)? But will I lose performance because of the multiple calls to the DrawPrimitive function? Well I'm kind of lost so if anybody has and idea what's the best way to handle the vertices, considering the fact that I'm using multiple textures and, of course, multiple bones, it would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
I would avoid locking whenever possible and use the grouping method. Unless there are masses of bones it should be quicker.

that are software skinning solutions...but it can also be done on hardware...one way would be vertexshaders but i think it can also be done without them on hradware but i don't remember it exactly...

regards,
m4gnus

ok I'll look for the Hardware solution (I'll try to find a way without using a vertex shader and, if I don't find it, I'll try with the vertex shader). Plus, while thinking about the problem, I discovered that, using the grouping method, I'll have a problem because some triangles will have vertices attached to different bones. That mean some triangles will be proceeded twice!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!