Coyping data from a std::mapint,something to a std::vectorsomething

Started by
18 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi The topic says what i want to do... You might think now: "Ha that's eays just do a for loop and do vector=map" that's what i thought first too....but for some reason this doesn't seem to work :/ can somebody tell me a way to copy all the data? regards, m4gnus
"There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't."
Advertisement
std::maps have two template parameters: a key and a value. vectors have only one template parameter: the held type. What part of the map do you want to copy into the vector?
i have a std::map<int,something> and a std::vector<something> and i want to copy the something part of the map...
"There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't."
Do you want to keep the same indexes in the map and the vector, or does the order not matter?
Use a map iterator, and add each pair's "second" to the vector.
i need the same indices...and i don't know how to iterrate through a map using an iterrator ...

regards,
m4gnus
Quote:Original post by m4gnus
i need the same indices...and i don't know how to iterrate through a map using an iterrator ...

regards,
m4gnus

This is simple.

#include <map>#include <vector>using namespace std;int main () {    typedef int data_type;    map< int , data_type > a_map;    //...fill map with data...    vector< data_type > a_vector;    /* resize the vector to map's highest key/index value. Since map items are     * sorted by key, the last item will have the highest key (note: I'm     * assuming no custom sorting method has been provided. If there is one,     * we might as well just resize whenever we find a bigger key in the loop.     * see the commented out line in the loop for how to do that).     *     * The key/value pairs are stored in std::pairs as first/last.     */    a_vector.resize( a_map.last()->first + 1 );    for ( map< int , data_type >::iterator i = a_map.begin() ; i != a_map.end() ; ++i ) {        int key = i->first;        const data_type & value = i->second;        //if ( a_vector.size() < key ) a_vector.resize( key + 1 );        a_vector[ key ] = value;    }}

[Edited by - MaulingMonkey on August 22, 2005 6:22:49 PM]
Wow...thanks for the fast responses. Irt works now.
This is almost like chatting :)

regards,
m4gnus
Ok tht was too fast...compiler error: f:\Programmiertes\nGin\ngMesh.cpp(194): error C2679: binary '=' : no operator found which takes a right-hand operand of type 'complVertex' (or there is no acceptable conversion)

@Vector[key]=value;

Edit: My Code:
	Verts.resize(VertexMap.end()->first);	//for(int i=0;i<VertexMap.size();i++)Verts=VertexMap.find(i);	for(std::map<int,complVertex>::iterator  MapIt=VertexMap.begin();MapIt!=VertexMap.end();++MapIt)	{		int key=MapIt->first;		complVertex & value = MapIt->second;		Verts=VertexMap;		Verts[key]=value;	}

regards,
m4gnus
Verts=VertexMap; //<-- this one is commented out right? You don't even have an I variable anymore!

Verts[key]=value; //<-- this one should work if Verts is-a "std::vector< complVertex >" and complVertex has an appropriate assignment operator (if you've defined any custom ones, there should be a function: "complVertex & complVertex::operator=( const complVertex & copyee )"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement