• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kija

nVidia SDK and d3dx9_26.dll

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I guess this has been asked many times before but when I try to run the samples provided in the nVidia SDK 9.5 I get an error saying that it can't find d3dx9_26.dll. I read that this was because of a too new directx SDK. I tried to recompile the samples but then I get an error saying: "Incorrect version of Direct3D and/or D3DX". I guess this has been asked before but I can't find anything about it O.o Do I have to download an old directx 9 sdk, like february or so? EDIT: Changed d3dx9_27.dll to d3dx9_26.dll, sorry 'bout that. [Edited by - Kija on August 21, 2005 4:51:04 PM]

Advertisement
It's because you don't have the newest DX version (August 2005). Just go to the DirectX page (www.microsoft.com/directx) and download the DirectX updater (not the SDK update). It'll install d3dx9_27.dll.

Quote:
Original post by Drakex
Just go to the DirectX page (www.microsoft.com/directx) and download the DirectX updater

Is that so?

I was pretty sure that MS weren't currently offering the d3dx9_n.dll files in the End User Runtime, and that it was still the developer responsibility to ship the DLL's with the product.

The only download I saw on the above linked site was the regular DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime, not a "DirectX Updater"...?

Are you sure you didn't mean DirectX 9.0c Redistributable for Software Developers - (August 2005) from http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/sdk/?

hth
Jack

Bah, I'm sorry, it complains on d3dx9_26.dll, not _27 :S And I have _27 but not _26. And I have the august version of the directx sdk.

I'm changing the topic name and I'll edit the first post now

Just to add one other thing...

You can, provided you still have the archive or can find a download link, use a tool such as WinZip to dig into the archive (the downloaded ".exe" is an archive with a front-end iirc). Takes a bit of time and effort, but you can find the respective DLL's hidden away [smile]

Even though I never installed them, I have the Feb-05, Apr-05 and June-05 SDK's sitting on my hard drive... I also pulled out the '24', '25' and '26' D3DX DLL's to a seperate folder "just in case" [smile]

hth
Jack

Quote:
I was pretty sure that MS weren't currently offering the d3dx9_n.dll files in the End User Runtime, and that it was still the developer responsibility to ship the DLL's with the product.

In that case, that's pretty ridiculous. Why would MS make updates to DirectX, but not include them in the DirectX updater? It just doesn't make sense.

Actually, Microsoft realized their own stupidity in all of this: A) because it's illegal for developers to ship the required DLL by itself and B) because they do not ship or update users with this new dynamic link library format and C) because shipping the entire DX reditibutable is a HUGE waste for download games or demo applications.

Hence the packages available at the above link which Microsoft has approved.

Yes and which is killing my bandwidth :) So many people are downloading those files I may have to remove them - it looks like many many end users are missing the dlls. Battlefield 2 is a prime candidate from what I can tell!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!