• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
orcfan32

3D Chess Pieces (WANT FEEDBACK!!)

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have completed a small pack of models for any developer who would like to have them. They look nice too! I have some screenshots here also: Pawns: Bishops: Knights: Rooks: Kings: Queens: Reflection Proofs: Features: All 6 Chess Pieces Reflection off of Other Objects (Meshes) Two Shiny Colors: Gold and Silver Poly Count: ???? (I still have to find out how to check that..) Made from SCRATCH! No following pictures or anything else. - NO ANIMATIONS - If you couldn't see it in the pictures, the Knights ears actually DO indent. All of these models were made by me, with almost NO experience in 3D modeling! All I did was tell myself that I could do it! If you are a developer and you want them, post in this thread or PM me. I will export it to the format that you want. I don't know if they will automatically reflect objects in a game that you make. All I know is that they do reflect in 3D space. Also, I would like feedback on how you guys think these models are. [Edited by - orcfan32 on August 21, 2005 6:56:01 PM]

Advertisement
Not much to say considering they are basic chess pieces. Maybe some more detail, specially on the knight and the see through look is horrible, the shinyness is to shiny. Wood maybe?

I think they look awesome. Good job. I especialy like the sleek design of the knights. Keep up the good work.

Quote:
Original post by slowpid
Not much to say considering they are basic chess pieces.

But wait! I have never done much 3D prior to this!

Quote:
Original post by slowpid
Maybe some more detail, specially on the knight and the see through look is horrible, the shinyness is to shiny. Wood maybe?

Can gold or silver really be too shiny? And where are you getting this "see-through" look? And one more thing: what would you recommend me adding too the knights?

Thanks for the replies!

The pieces are simple, boring, poorly designed and even more poorly presented. You're new, it's ok. Don't feel bad, you're only starting and have tons of time to improve, but don't delude yourself into thinking this is quality work.

And here's why:

Being gold and shiny is absolutely worthless because no game developer uses the materials from inside of whatever 3D program you're using. Look up UV mapping, UV unwrapping and texturing if you want to make game art.

Reflectiveness is also worthless unless you have something to reflect. In this case, the pieces are simply reflecting upon themselves and a white background and end up looking transparent.

Making something from scratch without reference does not add value to it. If a photo will help you make it better then use the photo. In most cases it will and you should.

We don't need to see tons of renders which consist of 75% whitespace and are all doubled. Next time, put all your pieces in a line on one single picture. We can imagine what a shade of gray looks like. If you absolutely feel the need to show "beauty renders" such as your last 3, limit yourself to 1.

If you don't know how to find out the polycount, look it up. And no, don't respond asking me how to do it. Look it up. And no, don't ask me where to look it up. Game models should always, always be shown along with the triangle count if you're looking for feedback. Try to look up how to get a wireframe overlaying your models too, and provide an additional picture in that format.

You talk like an infomercial. It's annoying, and you should stop. Not every sentence has to have an exclamation mark. Generally the less you use it the better. And please, spare us comments like "They look nice too!". You're here to ask for new opinions, not your own.

Models being "too shiny" is actually a large problem arising in modern games (ie. Doom 3). Moderation is key in every aspect of life. Have you ever seen a chess piece that shiny?

Don't excuse your work by saying that you're a beginner. Take the criticism and use it to push yourself to be better. If you feel I'm being mean or overly harsh, take a real good look at what I said and think about why I said it. You WANT FEEDBACK!! and this is probably the most honest and beneficial response you're going to get.

Hey,

Won't say anything about your work but you're saying your pieces were done with no experience and that you don't really know what you're doing. Well if someone who has the characteristics that are mentioned above can make basic chest pieces why would a programmer take them for their game? I mean they could make them too... if it's that simple?

Just my two cents, keep up the practice I used to work with blender like 5 years ago and I remember my skill going up exponentially simply through practice.

Cheers

Very well written, Locke.

Quote:
Made from SCRATCH! No following pictures or anything else.

Pictures are good; use them. Befriend the pictures. Make love to the pictures.

About the improvements to the knight.... Make the top look like a horse head, rather than a scaled pyramid.

Make some intricate designs with a texture map and place them on top of the models. Or better yet, use a bump map.

The reflections do look ghastly, but to improve, just check out 3d Total; I thought I saw a tutorial there covering reflections and how to make them. (They still [most likely] won't look like that in game)

The triangle count is WAY too high. I'm pretty sure that you just took an 18-sided cylindar and extruded, scaled, and moved the polygons. Then, in the case of the pawn, you made a circle and moved it to the top. In the case of the rook, you made a box and cloned it.

It's a good start, but you still need a lot more practice before
Quote:
They look nice [...]

Don't get discouraged, just keep practicing. Tutorials are the key.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!