• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
krum

will triangles screw up my edge-loop based model?

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Noob modeller question here. I've created a model of a human female using Max 7 using pretty much all edge loops, which is nice because I can slap on TurboSmooth and she looks real nice. There's a couple of triangles around the mouth area but that's it. Now she's coming in a little above budget with the triangle count (about 3700 right now) so I was thinking I could just remove some of the edges, but this would require me to add more triangles without making more major modifications to the model. Will having a few triangles be a tragic thing in the end or should I make the effort of making sure she's clean of tris? Here's a wireframe of the top parts of the model for reference: wf.png

Advertisement
That depends on what you are going to do with her. If its for a game I assume it wont be smoothed, in which case triangle are just fine. If its for a high-poly smoothed model no, the triangles are going to make things difficult for texturing (stretching) and other finish type things. The model looks great, the triangles next to the nose, on either side look like real problems to me.

Here is an absolute great link on topology,

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=108412

it was started by steve stahlberg on the CGtalk forums. Search for steves stuff on google, amazing. Anyways, it addresses the use of tris and Ngons for use in topology, why they are a hinderance and why, sometimes when used skillfully they can be a great help.

The model looks great, how about a smoothed 3/4 version.

Quote:
Original post by slowpid
That depends on what you are going to do with her. If its for a game I assume it wont be smoothed, in which case triangle are just fine.

Cool, thanks!

Rather than starting from a box, I think there are other basic primitives that people use that are more edge-loop
friendly. If you take a look at a box, all vertices have 3 edges, which is not exactly a very good for
edge-looping. I think you need a primitive that has mostly 4 edges per vertex. Like, for example, an octahedron
has 4 edges per vertex. If you subdivide this shape using Doo-Sabin subdivision, you'll get a 26-sided shape
that also has 4 edges per vertex. This 26-sided shape can be your starting point for head modelling.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!