• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zephir

C++ Thorough gaming question

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Heres the question that I sort of found answered in the Beginning guides but not so complete. A friend is learning C++ from the start. Goal is to make games simple ones at first and eventually a few years down the road create better games. Question posed to me: What does he need in books and programs/software to learn C++ in order to become a novice game programmer. What does he need in graphics to learn how to create sprites or tanks simple designs. What does he need to make API' or GUI's. Types of programs and so forth what does he need to learn to make all this come together to make the game run. Everything there is he wants to know on start to finish of game creations in C++. Without taking a college course or going to school. Pure home studies and forums is how this person will learn. Basically the complete package that he needs to know, in order to get all these items and study them to eventually make an amature game and work more through the years (depending on his learning ability) to become a decent game maker. From the Coding to the graphic side. So far he has Visual C++ 6.0, Adobe Photoshop CS2, 3ds Max 7.0. What else in books and software does he need to complete his mission in learning how to make novice games including the graphics and the API and GUI and so forth. Thanks

Advertisement
I recommend buying "Accelerated C++" as the book to learn C++ from, then follow up with "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++. Together these two books should get him a solid understanding of C++. Then from a solid C++ base he can start to learn the specifics of game programming. Even simple games aren't simple and I recommend that he not start like so many, and just sort of cut and paste his way to a game and not really understand.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!