• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Thaligar

tangent, binormal...

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, i surfed now for couple of hours in the net because i wanna know how to calculate the tangent of a vertex, i already (took a long time) that the binormal/bitangent is the dotprod of the normal and the tangent, but how can i calc the tangent? if anyone got good tutorials or websites to look at please post, thanks in advance for your help and time, greets tgar

Advertisement
I think the binormal is the cross product of the tangent and the normal (not the dot product). The tangent can be computed as a function of the texture coordinates, but depending on what you're doing there's other ways of computing it (such as with terrain).

First off, its actually tangent, and bitangent to be totally correct, although it doesn't really matter as long as you do the same thing. A face normal is the cross product of the tangent, and bitangent. I believe in terms for normal mapping, you want the tangent to follow one axis, ie - X, and the bitangent to follow the other - Y or Z depending on the system you chose. Best wait till someone with a bit more mathematical knowledge comes along unless you are satisfied with my answer.

Quote:
Original post by Richy2k
Heres a picture I drew to help visualise it:

That's a great explanatory picture Richy. Most people have trouble drawing 3d directions and lines but I see you don't. [smile]

Quote:
Original post by staaf
Quote:
Original post by Richy2k
Heres a picture I drew to help visualise it:

That's a great explanatory picture Richy. Most people have trouble drawing 3d directions and lines but I see you don't. [smile]

Was that sarcasm or were you actually being honest? I would have mocked up a model in Blender but it would have taken longer, besides my picture is accurate enough to a degree...

Addition: This topic could really go nicely as an article, a lovely article on normals, tangents, bitangents, etc, to answer all the nitty gritty 3D maths questions.

PS: Yes I know there is an article on height map normal calculation, but thats just one small thing that it covers.

Quote:
Original post by Richy2k
Quote:

Was that sarcasm or were you actually being honest? I would have mocked up a model in Blender but it would have taken longer, besides my picture is accurate enough to a degree...

I was being honest. I see a lot of geometry-related figures drawn by other students and most are less than intelligible unless you get them explained to you. Drawing geometry by hand is a rare trait it seems.

seeing the picture from richy2k couldn t you simply generate the binormal(bitangent) and tangent by rotating the base axis vectors accordingly?

you have got the normal

now find out the dominant axis component

x > y and x > z -> dominat axis is the x axis

so find the angles you need to rotate the x axis vector to match the normal and apply these rotations to the y and z axis vectors

any idea if that would work ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!